What is Inbound Marketing? It is a philosophy and a methodology, which is ethical, helpful and which is built around the way customers buy today.
The phrase was coined by Hubspot, who brought together and codified mostly already existing, ethical marketing practices that hand sprung up around the modern, tech equipped, internet browsing buyer.
Marketing for the internet age
For marketing the internet changed everything.
For years the Mad Men had been happily dazzling and bamboozling the hapless buyer, but then along came the internet and poof – every buyer was quickly on the path to becoming an educated, enlightened buyer.
Result = the old, manipulative, ways no longer work – no more Mad Men.
Marketing now works best when we consider the wants and needs of the buyer, and we help them, educate them and delight them. No more is marketing a dark art, it is turning into a source of free information, enlightening and helping it’s target markets.
Instead of buying ads, buying email lists, or cold calling, inbound marketing focuses on creating educational content that pulls people toward your website where they can learn more about what you sell on their own accord.
What is Inbound Marketing? INBOUND IS AN APPROACH TO MARKETING THAT REACHES TODAY’S CONSUMER.
Get found by qualified leads online with content (website pages, blog articles, social messages) optimised for search and social media. Understand what content pulls your buyers through the sales funnel, and use that context to personalise your marketing at scale.
Why should you care.
Inbound Marketing has taken the USA and Europe by storm, and it will change marketing in Australia too.
- Inbound is the dominant marketing strategy for US Businesses with fewer than 200 people.
- Businesses are 3x as likely to see higher ROI on inbound marketing campaigns than on outbound.
- Inbound efforts achieve higher ROI than outbound regardless of total marketing spend.
- In the US, 84% of small businesses are predominantly using inbound marketing.
- 3 out of 4 marketers across the globe prioritize an inbound approach to marketing.
Get your inbound marketing off to a flying start with our campaign checklist.